The Hollins Curriculum Intent
It takes a dedicated partnership between parents and a school to raise a 21st Century child, particularly one who will be equipped to face life in an area of Lancashire that has a rich heritage of culture and diversity. Education at The Hollins will shape our young people into British Citizens who will make a positive contribution to society; who will have opportunities to explore and discover new experiences; and who will be well prepared for later life.
At The Hollins we are passionate about transforming the ordinary into the extraordinary. This is achieved by engendering a love of learning via a broad and balanced, deep and dynamic curriculum where teaching and learning is at the heart of everything we do. To meet our aspirations, our curriculum:
• Offers extra-curricular activities where students have the opportunity to try new things, meet new people, and develop themselves outside of timetabled lessons.
• Provides opportunities to transfer knowledge, skills and understanding through a carefully planned wide range of National Curriculum subjects.
• Includes a local curriculum that provides opportunities to innovate and develop particular interests and specialisms.
• Builds on primary school knowledge, skills and understanding.
• Supports young people to make informed decision regarding all post-16 opportunities via aspirational careers education, information, advice and guidance.
• Recognises and encourages success.
• Is delivered by well-trained and dedicated staff.
• Reflects our core 7 values: kind, honest, resilient, reflective, respectful, responsible and aspirational.
All of these combine to enable all students to achieve their full educational potential and transform them into extraordinary citizens ready to face the challenges of life in modern Democratic Britain, and a global society. The appropriateness of our curriculum, both taught and untaught, helps support students’ outstanding behaviour and their SMSC development.
Our students deserve nothing less.