Welcome to the Computing/Business/ICT Department
The department teaches the Key Stage 3 National Curriculum, GCSE Computing, BTEC Enterprise and OCR IMedia. It is led by Mr Ishtiaq who teaches computer science across key stages 3 and 4, Mr Suleman who teaches KS3 computer science and IMedia and Mrs Stubbs who teaches BTEC Enterprise.
The department has links to UKFast a cloud hosting company based in Manchester who have worked with us to create a Pi Cafe that students can access outside class to practice their programming skills. Students have also visited UKFast and taken part in a cyber security project.
In 2018, 733 thousand people were employed in jobs in the IT, software and computer services sub-sector of the UK’s creative industries. Having at least some computer skills is a given in almost any job today. Most jobs now require some computer literacy, whether using Word, Excel, or even more advanced software and the curriculum we offer aims to ensure our students are ready for this.
Computing Department Curriculum Intent
Our learners will be using computational thinking and creativity to understand the world around them. Our curriculum is designed to build confident, critical and independent students who are able to use a range of skills to plan, implement and review solutions to computing problems. We will equip our students to be digital citizens, creators, communicators and investigators. This is achieved by:
- Allowing students to take part in a wide range of extra-curricular activities designed to create links between their classroom learning and the real world.
- Providing opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in Computing, IT and the design of multimedia products.
- Giving students opportunities to take part in innovative projects with local and national businesses to develop the skills needed in the 21st century digital landscape
- Supporting young people to make informed decisions about post-16 opportunities in the digital sector through visits, guest speakers and taster days at cutting edge technology businesses.
- Giving students access to enrichment days to allow them to experience a wide range of STEM and Computing experiences.